Thursday, January 31, 2008

Vulnerability

I have not written in a while. I am out of practice and haven't disciplined myself to express through words the process of my heart. I used to journal regularly - to pray, process, contemplate life and the growth in this journey - but I have become lazy and if I am perfectly candid, which I hope to be, a bit dead within.

I can blame my lack of discipline and monotone growth on a number of things but the truth is, that ultimately, breaking down barriers and walls, inviting others into the light and darkness of myself, is humbling and often embarrassing. It means that someone else will know that I fell down in a parking lot after tripping on a much too large speed bump, even though, when I frantically pulled myself up, my first inclination was to look around and make sure no one else saw. I proceeded to act like nothing just happened, but now, I write about it and it doesn't even matter what stranger saw it in the parking lot, people I actually have relationship with know my embarrassing day. Seems like this is a better way to live...open and free...in hope that it might enable others to be just as vulnerable with themselves. I think that might just offer a little more joy to our daily life.

It seems that we connect using posted pictures and a witty caption below, but daily I find that life is fuller than what a witty caption can depict.

So, along with pictures of our little family life, I share more; primarily out of desperation to be vulnerable and "real" somewhere along the way. My commas and spelling may not always be in check, but here is my attempt at breaking down walls and sharing my heart...surely more to my benefit than yours...but I invite you along anyhow.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

i'm excited to read more, rachael. i feel like blogging is one of the only ways i find myself in contact with adults on many days! it's a relatively safe place to be yourself and to process what's going on in life. i took the plunge a couple months ago and invite you to join me on my journey, too: http://myoriginalself.blogspot.com

David and Rachael said...

Friend, your blog is the inspiration behind my own blogging journey. I would at least like to pretend that I am talking to someone other than my own shadow. Thanks for reading my random thoughts! I keep up on your much more organized thoughts and love it! Thank you!