Thursday, February 14, 2008

Lovey dovey pink and red

The day itself was not so lovey dovey pink and red...in fact, I spent time with friends who continuously grow more and more dear to David and me (good friends take such a long time to make). We didn't do much but let our babies sleep while we rested in pleasant conversation through the afternoon. It was refreshing; good to be out of the house for a long while. I returned to my home this lovey dovey pink and red day to find that I left it in a disastrous state while trying to race out this morning. William and I fell asleep on the couch around 6:00 and were awoken by David coming home a bit later. It didn't seem like such a lovey dovey pink and red day and my tendency as I write this is to approach it all with sarcasm and sinicism...but my heart was softened a bit tonight.

We aren't extremely excited to celebrate the handy dandy made-up-by-Hallmark day, but at the beginning of "us", about six years ago, we decided to do something small for each other and would switch off the "date planning" responsibility from year to year. This year was David's turn.

I didn't really know what to expect, in the past he has done extravagant and creative things (he is truly a heroic planner) but with a baby and no baby sitter, less sleep than in years past and no desire to dress up or pull out my trusty dusty heels I figured that it may lose it's zest this year...not because of David, but because I feel different. Maybe overwhelmed is the right word? Lovey dovey pink and red days feel like a side note when I can't even get laundry done that I started on Monday.

It was a special Valentine's day this year not because anything was over the top or expensive but because I realized that my husband knows me well enough to see that all I ache for is a stiff margarita at home with William in bed and conversation with David that seeks to learn more about the other (he bought me a game with crazy questions to ask - we didn't play the game...just read the cards and laughed at the answers the other gave).

These are the things that keep me alive inside and feeling like I haven't packed my wife and lady hats away...they just don't get worn as often as the mom hat these days.

No comments: